Church History

Christ Church celebrated its 200 th Anniversary in 2004. In 1804 the Lutheran and Reformed congregations worshiped together in what was called, officially, “The Jerusalem Church of the Evangelical Lutheran and German Reformed Congregations of Annville and its Vicinity.” In 1872 the two congregations agreed to separate; the Reformed people named the church Christ Reformed Church.
In 1903 the Jerusalem Church was torn down and replaced by the present limestone building. In 1924 the south wing was added to the church to be used for Sunday Church School. Subsequently, the basement portion of this wing was equipped for social fellowship and events.
In 1951 Christ Church was completely redecorated and changes were made to the choir loft, a reredos was put in place behind the altar and the sliding doors between the sanctuary and Church School rooms were enclosed.
In 1972 the educational wing of Christ Church was completely remodeled, converting it from the open auditorium style to a two-story arrangement of separate rooms, offices, and a chapel-lounge.
In 1979 a second renovation to the sanctuary was begun and the unfinished portion of the undercroft below the sanctuary was finished to create a large multipurpose room with a new kitchen.
In the summer of 1991 the church tower was taken down, necessary repairs made and the tower rebuilt.
In the summer of 2005 the sanctuary underwent the refurbishing we see today. The improvements included: the redesign of the chancel area and the choir lofts, the relocation of the organ, new pews and carpeting, and improvements to the floor of the sanctuary.
During  2014 Christ Church completed the installation of an elevator.  This important addition gives everyone access to all 3 floors, an exterior handicapped accessible lobby, all classrooms and facilities.  An additional unisex restroom was added to the top floor, which  makes our facility truly handicap friendly.
During its long history, Christ Church has seen many changes, both physically and philosophically. While the name and affiliations have evolved, its mission remains the same: to worship God and live our Christian faith through good work and education. God has been good to Christ Church over the past 211 years and it is our hope that we can serve God and Christ through our mission and ministry for many years to come.